I had started another blog several years ago at http://myfamilyresearchadventures.blogspot.com/, but when google plus ended some how I messed things up and now it is very difficult for me to get into that blog to post. So I decided to start a new blog that I can get to easier.

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Studying the book "Mastering Genealogical Proof"

Over the next few weeks I will be participating in a study group on the following book.


Thomas W. Jones, Mastering Genealogical Proof (Arlington, Virginia: National Genealogical Society, 2013). [Book available from the publisher at http://www.ngsgenealogy.org/cs/mastering_genealogical_proof , also available
in Kindle format through Amazon.com]


Since some how I have messed up my Google Drive I will be posting my homework here.



Chapter I Homework:

1) Genealogy is the study of ones ancestors.
2) In my own words; the 5 parts of the GPS (Genealogical Proof Standard) are:

  1. Searching in as many different types of records you can think of and/or locate.
  2. Citing all the records you find in a way that you or someone else can go back and locate the records in case the originals or images get misplaced.
  3. Look at the records you have found and determine how accurate each record is and then compare the information and determine the best conclusion to the genealogical question.
  4. Reasonably explain any and all information found in the records.
  5. Write up your conclusion in a way that others will understand.
3) The proofs explain why I came to my conclusions. The proofs are there so others can understand my thinking and reasoning.
4) A conclusion is complete. A partial proof indicates a work in progress.
5) You have to first decide on what you want to know.






No comments:

Post a Comment