TRACING IMMIGRANT ANCESTORS
I enjoy participating in Dear Myrtle's HOA (Hang Outs on Air). Now we are studying Tracing Immigrant Ancestors and the assignment was to basically make a timeline for an ancestor and share it. So I decided to continue with my great-grandfather John E Bionaz. This timeline contains the records that have been located that mentions his immigration. While doing this assignment I was able to find his first arrival into the USA and my sister-in-law Lisa Trimbull Baker was able to find his death certificate.
John E Bionaz Date of Immigration
Year of Immigration
16 Apr 1894
30 Jun 1900
6 Nov 1900
3 Jan 1903
John Ellers Bianaz***
21 Sep 1908
27 Mar 1893
27 Feb 1866
26 Apr 1910
5 Jan 1920
25 Oct 1924
27 Feb 1866
*Biona (or Brona), Jean age 24, arrived 16 Apr 1894 on the ship La Bretagne from the port of La Havre.
** 1903 Passenger List states this is his 3rd time entering USA. The other times he came 1902 and 1894. He is headed to Dunlo PA to return to family, wife Maria Bionaz. He is traveling with Maria and Bernado Boche, who are visiting their brother Placidi Boche in Dunlo, PA.
*** Birth place listed as Brisogne
- Year: 1894; Arrival: New York, New York; Microfilm Serial: M237, 1820-1897; Microfilm Roll: Roll 625; Line: 104; Ancestry.com. New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.; Original data: Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1820-1897. Microfilm Publication M237, 675 rolls. NAI: 6256867. Records of the U.S. Customs Service, Record Group 36. National Archives at Washington, D.C.: Accessed 25 October 2015
- "United States Census, 1900," database with images, FamilySearch(https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M394-NV7 : accessed 26 October 2015), Peter Bush, Adams Township, Cambria, Pennsylvania, United States; citing sheet 26A, family 473, line 42, in Family of Peter Bush (Boche). NARA microfilm publication T623 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.); FHL microfilm 1,241,387. Accessed 25 October 2015
- Marriage Certificate: 6 November 1900: State of Pennsylvania: Cambria County: Certification of Excerpts from Marriage License Record; 6 November 1900; Marriage License Docket, vol 19, page 375. Groom: John There Bionaz, age 32; Bride: Orpheline Boche, age 16. Copy in possession of Betty-Lu Baker Burton.
- Year: 1903; Arrival: New York, New York; Microfilm Serial: T715, 1897-1957; Microfilm Roll: Roll 0316; Line: 2; Page Number: 119; Ancestry.com. New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.: Original data: Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1820-1897. Microfilm Publication M237, 675 rolls. NAI: 6256867. Records of the U.S. Customs Service, Record Group 36. National Archives at Washington, D.C..: Accessed 25 October 2015
- Petition for Naturalization; United States of America; Department of Commerce and Labor, Bureau of Immigration and Naturalization: Court of Common Pleas in Cambria County, Pennsylvania: 21 September 1908; John Ellers Bionaz, born 27 Feb 1866 in Brisogne, Italy. Copy in possession of Betty-Lu Baker Burton.
- Year: 1910; Census Place: Summerhill, Cambria, Pennsylvania; Roll: T624_1325; Page: 18B; Enumeration District: 0155; line 87, Family # 345; FHL microfilm: 1375338; Ancestry.com. 1910 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006. Accessed 25 October 2015.
- Year: 1920; Census Place: Mahoning, Montour, Pennsylvania; State Hospital for the Insane; Roll: T625_1603; Page: 4B; Enumeration District: 58; Image: 536; Line 86; Ancestry.com. 1920 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010. Images reproduced by FamilySearch. Accessed 25 October 2015
- Ancestry.com. Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1963 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014. Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates, 1906–1963. Series 11.90 (1,905 cartons).: Certificate # 100316. Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Accessed 25 October 2015